This Magic Custard Cake is really easy to prepare and while baking it forms into three layers. A spongy one on top, a custard one in the middle and a dense layer at the bottom. The add of lemon zest really makes this cake quite delicate and can be an impressive and elegant dessert for any occasion.
To print the recipe check the full recipe on my blog:
Makes 9 servings
1/2 cup (113g) butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup (135g) sugar
2 tsp (10g) vanilla extract
Zest of 2 lemons
1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
2 cups (500 ml) milk
Sweetened whipped cream
1. Preheat oven to 300F (150C). Grease and line a 8×8 inch (20x20cm) pan with parchment paper.
2. Separate egg whites from yolks. Mix egg yolks with sugar, butter vanilla extract and lemon zest until smooth. Add flour and mix until well blended. Add milk and continue mixing on low speed until homogenous.
3. In another bowl whip the whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the whites into the milk and yolks mixture.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 80-90 minutes until lightly golden. Let it cool completely in the pan and refrigerate to set for a couple of hours.
5. Trim the edges and cut the cake into bars. Top the bars with whipped cream and lemon slices. Enjoy.
Background music https://audiojungle.net/item/happy/11968643